Need something healthy to satisfy your sweet tooth this winter? This loaf is completely gluten free and sugar free... But you would seriously never be able to tell! It's so good, I swear. I made it a few times last winter as a special treat when I was seriously restricted on the foods I was allowed to eat.
Superfood Butternut Squash Loaf - Adapted from Sheena
1 1/4 cups less 2 1/2 tbls white buckwheat flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
2 heaping tbls ground flax seeds
1/4 cup of chia and hemp seeds, half of each
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbls cinnamon
1 tbls nutmeg
1/4 cup browned butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups butternut squash puree (bought or homemade)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 cup unsweetened soy beverage (or milk)
1. Preheat oven to 340 degrees celsius. Grease a bread pan. Prepare butternut squash puree (about 1 medium sized butternut squash) - directions are linked above.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, one by one, gently whisking in each addition. Prepare the browned butter, directions linked above. Follow the instructions to be sure not to under/over do it! You really have to wait for the "nutty" smell.
3. Mix browned butter and maple syrup with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds. Add in eggs and mix for about 1 minute. Finally, add the puree and vanilla until everything is well combined.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet (you might need an extra set of hands for this if you have a hand mixer) until just combined.
5. Pour in about 1/8 cup of soy (or milk) and mix for a bit until mixture is one consistency. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until toothpick/knife comes out clean.
Enjoy fresh with butter or earth balance! Will stay for 3-4 days.