superfood butternut squash loaf

January 05, 2013


Need something healthy to satisfy your sweet tooth this winter? This loaf is completely gluten free and sugar free... But you would seriously never be able to tell! It's so good, I swear. I made it a few times last winter as a special treat when I was seriously restricted on the foods I was allowed to eat.

I included flax seedschia seeds and hemp seeds for an extra nutritional kick which doesn't sacrifice the flavour. It's perfectly sweet - but not overwhelming so - and smells like the essence of watching snow fall from inside. I'm telling you... This is a winner.
Superfood Butternut Squash Loaf - Adapted from Sheena

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups less 2 1/2 tbls white buckwheat flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
2 heaping tbls ground flax seeds
1/4 cup of chia and hemp seeds, half of each
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbls cinnamon
1 tbls nutmeg
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups butternut squash puree (bought or homemade)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 cup unsweetened soy beverage (or milk)

1. Preheat oven to 340 degrees celsius. Grease a bread pan. Prepare butternut squash puree (about 1 medium sized butternut squash) - directions are linked above.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, one by one, gently whisking in each addition. Prepare the browned butter, directions linked above. Follow the instructions to be sure not to under/over do it! You really have to wait for the "nutty" smell.
3. Mix browned butter and maple syrup with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds. Add in eggs and mix for about 1 minute. Finally, add the puree and vanilla until everything is well combined.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet (you might need an extra set of hands for this if you have a hand mixer) until just combined.
5. Pour in about 1/8 cup of soy (or milk) and mix for a bit until mixture is one consistency. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until toothpick/knife comes out clean. 

Enjoy fresh simply with butter or earth balance, OR my personal favourite with crème fraîche and a drizzle of honey.
Will stay for 3-4 days.







14 comments:

  1. hey, i can attest to its greatness! i was there at its inception (lucky me!)....so, go and make it, and indulge in it - you won't be sorry...maybe even try it with some goat cheese spread, if you're feeling adventurous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lovely Lana :)
    I was just wondering about all the gluten-free flours, which one would you recommend? I guess they are way more healthy, right? Also, are they really expensive?
    Sorry for all these questions, I don't have any idea about this, but recently I've been willing to try some healthy alternatives to my diet.

    Just one more question (oops! :) ), all your photographs look so sweet and I was wondering which ISO do you use (some of them are really grainy and still come out nice -I love the grain effect, but every time I use a high ISO I end up messing the pic), and which aperture and shutter speed? (If it is not an inconvenience to tell).

    Have a lovely day :)!

    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ella!

      The buckwheat and quinoa flours used here are obviously gluten free. I think that using rice instead of quinoa would also do the job. I've also made this before with a buckwheat and barley combo (which is wheat free, but not gluten free).

      Is eating GF healthier? That totally depends on your body. While I am not celiac, I have discovered that eating gluten/wheat free options makes me feel better and helps me keep my digestion optimal - and so much of your health is connected to your digestion. GF/WF flours can be found at any health food store, but bulk barn also has a great variety (if you live in Canada). Bobs Red Mill brand sells a huge variety of GF/WF flours: http://www.bobsredmill.com/flours-meals/. I find buckwheat usually yields the best results in baking. Even though they're more expensive than wheat flour, I think it's a small price to pay for health if it's what your body needs!

      About the photography questions, send me an email and we can chat!

      Delete
  3. Halo Lana :) Ja sam bivsa komsinica tvoje majke, i tvoje mame nekada kad nije bila jos udata.Toliko o meni.Nego da pohvalim zdrav pristup kuhinji i kuhanju.
    Ja sam nekad govorila da ne bih ni probala hljeb od crnog brasna..bilo mi je okularno ruzno.Medjutim, s godinama se sve mijenja pa sam i ja tako svoje misljenje skroz promijenila.Naucila sam da je zapravo bijelo brasno otrov za nas organizam.Kad to akceptiras problema vise nema.U mojoj kuhinji sada su zastupljena sva crna da kazem brasna..Heljdino brasno je ovdje najskuplje, 6 € po kilogramu.Ali heljdino brasno je jako izdasno brasno i plus toliko zdravo.Pravim hljem od mjesavine heljdinog brasna i psenicnog ne preradjenog brasna, pa uljevak od heljdinog brasna, pa uljevak od grubog kukuruznog brasna.sve su to bas specijaliteti moje kuhinje.Eto ja se raspisah..Pozdravi mi tvoju mamu BNahru i svako dobro ti zelim u kuhinji sa varjacom:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana bas voli da kuha i da pravi eksperimente,Sve je pocelo kada smo otrili da su ona i Rade alergicni na psenicu.Koliko voli da kuha toliko voli i da sve to zabiljezi kamerom i podjeli iskustvo sa ostalima.Nadam se da uzivas u njenim fotkama i receptima.S obzirom d si ti vrlo spretna u kuhinji postujem sto si zvirila u blog moje Lana.Pozdrav od Bahre.

      Delete
  4. this recipe is... incredible!!! This was the 3. time I've made it, because I fell is love with it :)
    because of the big success I hope you don't mind I posted in my blog (naturally marking you as a source :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, i'm so happy you like the recipe!
      thanks for letting me know how it turned out for you :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a lovely recipe. Too bad my oven is a nightmare! Will have to wait until we move into our new house.
    I found your blog through DeadFleurette and enjoyed reading all your stories today and watching your lovely pictures. Your descriptions of Paris and Italy are wonderful! Makes me want to go back to Tuscany right now! It's been so long..
    Well, have a lovely evening and thank you for being an inspiring place on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What could you suggest as a substitute for the butternut squash puree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! As it's the main flavour of this loaf, I would suggest just buying already made butternut squash (or even pumpkin!) puree/filling.

      Otherwise, you can transform this into a banana loaf with two or three ripped bananas, or even a zucchini loaf with a few grated zucchinis.

      Delete
    2. I would try sweet potato puree

      Delete
  7. Too easy to not try all of the possible variations!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. could I use coconut palm sugar instead of Maple syrup due to it's high fructose content

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just pulled this out of the oven and tried a slice. Wow! It is so good. I think it would work well with the previously suggested substitutions like bananas.

    ReplyDelete