basil ricotta + zucchini quiche

July 04, 2013

Why yes, that is a green juice in the picture above. And yes, I did chug it after the photoshoot was fini. I went for an appointment today with my natropath and she was damn excited when I told her I have been juicing religiously for the past little while now. I don't even drink coffee in the morning anymore! Don't get me wrong, I still love coffee and think that there's few things in the world nicer than a beautifully brewed cup of joe. But! my green juices provide me with more than enough energy to get my day started and I have never been so attracted to KALE. Get on the train, friends!
We have a pretty easy-breezy-few-ingredient quiche this time around.  I try to avoid gluten as much as possible, and so this cornmeal crust is a new staple for all things quiche/tart in my life. The cheese and vegtable broth pack in the flavor and I really want to try whipping up something with jalepeno in this crust. The basil ricotta is genius and the combination of the four (cornmeal, basil, ricotta, zucchini) practically scream Italy. Believe it or not, this was completely unintentional.

Basil Ricotta + Zucchini Quiche
Serves 6

Ingredients

Crust, from Spouted Kitchen:
1 Cup Vegtable Broth
1 Cup Water
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 Polenta or Corn Grits
1/2 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
1 Egg
Fresh Ground Pepper

Filling:
4 Eggs
1 Heaping tbls Greek Yougurt (or sour cream if desired)
1 Medium Sized Zucchini
3/4 Cup Ricotta, full fat
8-10 Fresh Basil Leafs
Sea Salt and Pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 375. Follow the directions to make the cornmeal crust in a shallow 9" pan.

While the crust is in the oven: chop 8 of the basil leafs and combine with ricotta. Add sea salt to taste and set aside in fridge. Use a mandolin (or sweet knife skills) to thinly slice the zucchini. Beat the eggs and yogurt together until well combined with a dash of salt and pepper.

When the crust is ready, reduce oven temperature to 350. Layer all the zucchini at the bottom of the shell. Pour in egg mixture. Using a spoon, drop balls of the ricotta mixture over the egg mixture, spacing them evenly and one in the middle. Bake in your oven for 25-30 mins. Use the other 2 basil leafs for garnish and serve with a fresh green salad (and juice!).






6 comments:

  1. oh my - how delicious this sounds and looks! this is the perfect summer/weekend/brunch recipe. i think this weekend if i get in the mood to make something special, this will be it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the recipe has fresh basil, I am in)) It’s got to be good!! Any Quiche is welcome in my family. So, I don’t have a choice! I am on my way to get zhucchini and make this gorgeous dish. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lana! Did you buy the green juice or did you make it? It looks so delicious and healthy, I'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madeline - I make it fresh every day! I usually do a cucumber + celery base, then add some leafy greens (kale, romaine, spinach, chard, etc) and an apple or pear. Yum yum yum.

      Delete
  4. Sounds sooo good! Do you use a blender? I seriously need to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a juicer that does all the work for me! The greatest health investment.

      Delete

lana pribic All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger