grilled veggie wrap loaded with garam masala + carrot hummus

July 20, 2013



Don't you fret and don't you mind
The only constant is changing,
you'll never know what you'll find. 
Yeah, tomorrow I might wake up nice and clean
and I might believe the things I said I didn't mean
and this might turn and wind up just the way we'd dreamed
and I might become the things I swore I'd always be

I love the melody of this song. It's pacey, youthful, exciting. The particular verse above hits me hard every single time I hear it. I like to think that it's my summer 2013 words-to-live-by despite the fact that I heard this song a loooong time ago. How crazy is that? Your relation to a song or a poem or a book completely depends on where you are in your life. I can't help but to feel so completely into it right now, having been unable to truly connect with it in the past.

We will all come face-to-face with the idea that "the only thing in life that is constant is change," sooner or later. I think this song celebrates this realization in a non-melancholic but truly realistic light. You will eventually stop being scared of having new interests and trying new things and cooking new foods and changing your pallet and challenging your heart to become kinder when all it has even been comfortable with is hardness. You will stop being naive in thinking that people and your relationships with them will always stay the same. They wont, they won't. And you won't - so why should you expect that from others? You will come to terms with the fact that most people in your life are passing through in some way. The people in your life are a reflection of what stage you are currently situated in. Most people aren't forever. This is a mature realization, and it is more nostalgic than heartbreaking. You'll remember that you get through shit because you have no other choice. The changing constant is such a huge part of our lives that we don't even feel things come and go most of the time because we're so focused on the "big picture." Really though, it's the fleeting moments and people and situations and passions and books and artists and grudges and arguments and travels that each contribute a stroke or a new colour of paint to our big picture.

This song is asking the question: what the heck will come next? I'm ready for it. I'm practically begging for it. I am willing and ready to accept that who I am today is not who I was one year ago, and I am learning to spare judgement upon others in the same light. I will consciously become all the thoughts inside of my head and celebrate all the desires in my heart when I finally seize them. I will connect point A to point Z. I am strong. I am gone yet I am present. I am ever-changing. I am me. I am on my way. 

Anyone who follows me on instagram might have already noticed that I've started kicking meat out and pulling veggies in. I haven't eaten meat, except for occasional fish, in about two months now. This is a bit intense since I come from an Eastern European family. Although we always have a massive salad and veggie sides at the dinner table, the meat is always the main feature of any meal and the veggies are there because we know they are good for us. Admittedly, I have always been that friend that would never have faith in anyone who vowed to become a vegetarian. I would roll my eyes, giggle, and say "Well, I guess everyone has to check off being vegetarian at least once while in University." 

Let's talk about changing constants. I am really caring for the environment and for animals for the first time in my life. Being an economics major who has always been fairly politically conservative, there was always little room for that. It was always on the back burner. Now I am realizing that there is no reason to be one extreme over the other in all aspects of life. Educate yourself, and then pick a side. Don't just blindly go with one school of thought on every single damn issue. That is why I am not calling myself a vegetarian or a pescatarian, although I am eating that way right now. I am still in my research phase and I feel very good and confident with all of the things I have learned this summer. I still enjoy fish and probably always will. I might eat meat again at some point in my life; That is realistic. I'm not labelling myself as anything but I am making every attempt to be a more conscious eater, consumer, and decision maker. I have always been comfortable with the idea that an aggregate level of people's choices are made up by a bunch of individual choices. The beauty of that is that we each have the freedom to decide which aggregate group we wish to stick ourselves into. That group will change over time.

Alicia created this recipe when she combined a leftover carrot soup with hummus and stuck it into a homemade wrap with some grilled vegetables. It's super tasty and, hey, it's vegan too! Right now, I am learning how to make vegetable focused dishes as opposed to meat focused ones - old me would have surely stuck some chicken breast into this, so this wrap got me really excited.

The tortillas, however, are 100% inspired from Survivor. Ha! Yep, they're that easy to make. The garam masala in this can be as subtle or strong as you'd like. If you don't have vegetable stock on hand, use water and turn up the salt and pepper. Use whatever peppers you have around too, we used a yellow cubanelle sweet pepper but any bell would be fine. I don't recommend omitting the zucchini (because they're so tasty this time of year), but it can safely be substituted with eggplant. As you can see, this is the kind of recipe that is more of a drawing board.

Grilled Veggie Wrap with Garam Masala + Carrot Hummus
Makes 3

Ingredients: 
1 large zuchinni
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1 large pepper (use what you have)
1 clove galric
olive oil

14 oz chickpeas (rinsed thoroughly if canned, or soaked and cooked)
1 large carrot
1/4 cup vegetable stock
1 clove garlic
4 tbls olive oil
1 tbls tahini
2 tsp garam masala, or to taste
salt, to taste

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
4 tbls of seeds (flax, sunflower, pumpkin)





Directions:
Fire up your BBQ to a high heat. Cut the tomatoes into halves, the zucchini into sheets, and slice the pepper. Mince and crush the clove of garlic and rub it onto the veggies with a light drizzle of olive oil. Wrap the tomatoes into a sheet of tinfoil leaving the top open, and throw everything on your BBQ. They should be ready in about 10-15 minutes when lightly charred. Set aside. Alternative to BBQ: Bake in oven at 450.

On medium-high heat, let the carrot boil in a pot of water, about 10 minutes or until soft. In a bowl, blender, or large food processor, combine the chickpeas, carrot, vegetable stock (or water), garlic, olive oil, tahini, garam masala and salt. Whirl until smooth. Taste and adjust the salt and garam to your preference. This ratio worked for us.

In a bowl, combine the flour, water, and salt. Use your hands to kneed the mixture until it forms a sticky dough. Add in the seeds and continue mixing. This can be made beforehand and chilled in the fridge, which I imagine would make it easier to work with. Cut the dough into 3 equal balls. On a floured surface, pat down then roll out the tortilla as thin as possible without causing them to separate. If this happens, just layer the broken ends together and roll over with the rolling pin. Throw the tortilla on a hot non-stick pan heated with oil. Once the upside starts to cook, flip it over. Repeat three times. You want a few charred bubbles here.

Construct  the wrap with a generous slab of hummus, a handful of tomatoes, a handful of peppers and a few slices of zucchini. Use a toothpick to retain shape.





3 comments:

  1. I've spent some time meat-free in my life, as well! I always feel cleaner and more energetic when I eat more veggies, less meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Your dedication to providing healthy recipes to others has gotten our attention. We like your awesomeness and invite you to share your culinary creations on our new recipe index site dedicated to recipes such as these, which help to promote health and longevity. For more information please visit our site: www.healthyrecipeverified.com .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. One can always use another variation on hummus, especially if Indian-flavoured :)

    ReplyDelete

lana pribic All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger